Desert Adaptations Goal Reflection

This term we focused on animal adaptations as our integrated topic. In the past few weeks we have been working on a project about desert plants and animal adaptations. In this project we had to include a PowerPoint, annotated diagram, model and a science experiment. The main information we had to include was adaptations on our chosen animal/plant (mine’s the spencer’s burrowing frog).

I think my partner and I achieved a lot in working above expectations. Some things that I felt really stood out in our presentation were:

• PowerPoint:

Navigational features– Bibliography that includes more than 3 sources correctly set out; Headings and subheadings that assist in navigation of text; Glossary includes definitions of all tier 3 language

• Diagram:

Diagram carefully drawn that uses labels to identify and explain key adaptations that are central to your species survival in the desert.

• Model:

Model includes annotations to identify and explain key adaptations that are central to your species survival in the desert.

• Experiment:

Included a reflection – Would you change or improve your experiment if you did it again? What might be another experiment that could be carried out to extend knowledge of this area?

• Presentation:

There is a close to equal balance of presentation time for each team member.

• Collaborative skills:

Roles allocated according to ability and strengths but maintaining balance.

I feel that we could improve on presenting our project a bit more confidently because my partner and I were both a bit nervous and we stumbled on some words even though we knew them but fear got in our way. I also feel like in our experiment we should made the strengths and the same the way we dig the same.

Over all I think we worked above expectations because I feel like we presented our PowerPoint well, we hand drew our diagram without tracing and included labels of key adaptations, in our model we explained the environment our creature lives in and made it look life-like, we came up with an experiment inspired by the spencers burrowing frog’s digging implants, we followed our script and other than being nervous I think we did really well on presenting and I feel we used a lot of collaborative skills such as checking in with each other because we both agreed to do different parts of the project on our different skills and strengths.

3 facts I found interesting:

1. A frog doesn’t chew its food but swallows it whole….with its eyes shut. Its big eyes bulge out of its head but also poke down into the mouth. When the frog has food in its mouth, it pushes its eyes down several times to crush it. Then it swallows.
  2. The name amphibian comes from two Greek words: amphi (meaning double) and bios (meaning life). It refers to the way these animals live in two worlds.
  3. Scientific name: Opisthodon spenceri

2 understandings I now have:

1. That spencer’s burrowing frog doesn’t like hot conditions although they live in the in the desert instead they use their digging implants to burrow underground to moist conditions.
  2. That there’s no need to be scared of my own classmates because it’s just a project and there’s no need to be scared.

1 wonder I still have:

1. Why are they the colour they are?

The most interesting thing I learnt:

• Was that doing something this big would on my own would be hard so I’m grateful that I have a partner to do this project with me? It was also being able to trust yourself no matter how hard the project gets.

How I learnt it:

• As the project went on I realised that I would have never have done it on my own on time and trusting myself helped me get through the project a lot easier.

What I’m going to with what I’ve learnt:

• Whenever I get a topic related to this I will use my prior knowledge about animal adaptations.

During this project I think I achieved a lot.